HDMI Sound on Ubuntu with Shuttle DS61
If you have issues getting the sound to work using Ubuntu via HDMI, perform the following steps in order:
- Confirm that the volume on your computer is not on mute.
pacmd >> list-sinks
It the volume is on mute, you will see an entry that states "mute: on". Otherwise you will see "mute: off".
- Add your user the the audio, pulse audio, and video groups. Replace "userID" with the ID of the user.
sudo usermod -a -G audio,pulse,pulse-access,video,voice userID
You would think Ubuntu would be smart enough to automatically do this, but apparently not.
- Install pavucontrol
sudo apt-get install -y pavucontrol
- Install the ALSA drivers and add the repository to your system.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/alsa-daily sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms
- Reboot your computer
- Force reload the drivers into ALSA.
sudo alsa force-reload
- Go to System Settings > Sounds. On the Configuration tab, change the Profile option to HDMI.
- Play an audio or YouTube clip to confirm that the sound is working.