No Pre-Heat Whole Chicken
- whole chicken
- seasonings of your choosing
- Rinse chicken. Remove the packet in the cavity if there is one
- Season chicken. Put some of the seasoning between the skin and the thigh, skin and breast, and inside the cavity of the chicken
- Place chicken in pot with the breast side down
- Place chicken and pot in refrigerator at least 2 hours to allow the seasonings to marinate. Leave pot uncovered while in refrigerator so that the skin will be more crispy.
- When ready to cook, remove chicken from refrigerator and place in oven with lid on.
- Oven should not be pre-heated.
- Turn on oven to 475 F (246 C)
- After about 30-45 minutes, turn oven down to 400 F (204 C)
- Continue to cook for another 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Chicken is done when meat thermometer reads at least 160 F (71 C) on the chicken breast
- If you place a pot directly from the refrigerator to a pre-heated oven, then the pot may crack.